The First Marriage
Genesis 1 :
26. Then God said, "Let Us make mankind in Our image, according to Our likeness; let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth."
27. So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.
God made mankind male and female. There was a male man and a female man. By himself Adam alone did not reflect the full glory of God's image although as a person he was complete in himself. By herself Eve did not reflect the full glory of God's image although as a person she was complete in herself.
But when God brought them together and performed the first wedding, He was satisfied that together they displayed to the earth the full glory of the image of God, since He had set out to make them in His image.
This is why human beings want to be married: because something deep inside us knows that the glory of God is reflected in the married union of a man and woman. This is why presenting yourselves to be married publicly is not just getting 'a piece of paper'.
Genesis 2 :True Love means
7. And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being.
18. And the Lord God said, "It is not good that man should be alone; I will make him a helper comparable to him."
19. Out of the ground the Lord God formed every beast of the field and every bird of the air, and brought them to Adam to see what he would call them. And whatever Adam called each living creature, that was its name.
20. So Adam gave names to all cattle, to the birds of the air, and to every beast of the field. But for Adam there was not found a helper comparable to him.
21. And the Lord God caused a deep sleep to fall on Adam, and he slept; and He took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh in its place.
22. Then the rib which the Lord God had taken from man He made into a woman, and He brought her to the man.
23. And Adam said: "This is now bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man."
24. Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and they shall become one flesh.
25. And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed.
Here is where God Himself performed the first wedding.
It is clear from this account that marriage is God's idea. It was God - not Adam - who decided that Adam should not be alone and God decided to make a helper comparable to him: someone who would be a counterpart to Adam, giving him balance: someone equal but different. God deliberately made Eve for Adam.
Since marriage is so important in God's eyes that He planned the first one, it means that when we want to be married it is something we should consult Him about. We should actively pray that He will bring the right person into our life: the person to give us balance: the person who is equal to us but different from us.
The next thing this account makes clear is how God meant Adam and his wife to relate to each other. Eve was made out of one of Adam's ribs.
The ribs cover the heart. Therefore, Eve was made to be close to Adam's heart. She was to have the first place in his heart and affections after God. Adam was to be closer to Eve than to any other human being. Neither parents nor children nor anyone else should be closer to Adam than Eve.
Also, we must note that Eve was not made from a bone in Adam's head, so she was not supposed to rule him. Neither was she made from a bone in Adam's foot, so he was not to disrespect her or walk all over her. She was to be equal to Adam, but different.
The Apostle Paul gives us a picture of how the role of husband and wife relate in marriage. He says in
I Corinthians 11
3. But there is one matter I want to remind you about: that a wife is responsible to her husband, her husband is responsible to Christ, and Christ is responsible to God.
Though man and woman are equal, in Christian marriage the man is the leader, the one who makes the final decision, and the one with whom the final responsibility for the marriage and family lies.
It is his responsibility to give direction and leadership to their union. It is his responsibility to keep his wife in step with him by lovingly keeping the vision for the marriage before her in every area of life. It is her responsibility to support, pray for and influence him in a godly manner when decisions need to be made.
God has set up a chain of accountability in marriage. Eve is accountable to Adam. But Adam is accountable to God for how the marriage works out.
The Apostle Paul puts it this way:
21 Out of respect for Christ, be courteously reverent to one another. (The Message Bible)
always acting with the highest good of the
other person in mind.
Father, help us in our union to reflect the glory of Your presence and majesty. Let us know for sure that in Your plan, we are right for each other.
Help us to relate to each other in the way that pleases You and in a way that makes us comfortable and happy in each other's company,
in Jesus' name,
Next installment tomorrow, God willing!
See you then, and meanwhile,
Have a great day walking with Jesus,