Test 8 : The Joining Test A
Are you really single, or merely unmarried?
Genesis 2 :
24. Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and they shall become one flesh.
Matthew 19 :
4. And He (Jesus) answered and said to them, "Have you not read that He who made them at the beginning 'made them male and female,'
5. "and said, 'For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh'?
Ephesians 5 :
31. "For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh."
Do you remember these verses from the last lesson?
I hope you didn't skip reading them again. If you did, go back and read them aloud to yourself. They provide the keys to the freedom God is offering you to maintain a successful marriage. So read them again now before continuing.
Joining is a very important principle in the Bible. Joining in the godly way can bring you many blessings in your life. Joining in the wrong way and to the wrong people can lead to much heartache throughout your life.
The first kind of joining we do in life is to our parents. Consider this relationship between Jacob and his youngest son:
And we said to my lord, 'The lad cannot leave his father, for if he should leave his father, his father would die.' (Genesis 44 : 22)
Jacob had lost one son and his attachment to this last son was so strong that he felt he would die if he lost this one too. That is how strong joining can be. Human beings are capable of incredibly strong bonding in their lives.
Later in our lives when we are married, God means that the bond between husband and wife will be the strongest one. God means that we should not have this kind of joining with anyone else.
This is one of the reasons he created sex: because one of the things having sex with your spouse does is that it creates and maintains the strong bond God intends to exist in marriage.
Consider what the word of God says here:
|I Corinthians 6 :|
18. That is why I say to run from sex sin. No other sin affects the body as this one does. When you sin this sin it is against your own body.
19. Haven't you yet learned that your body is the home of the Holy Spirit God gave you, and that he lives within you? Your own body does not belong to you.
20. For God has bought you with a great price. So use every part of your body to give glory back to God, because he owns it.
There are some people who begin having sexual relations before they are married and the Bible terms this to be sex sin or fornication. One of the reasons why God does not want us to have sex before we are married is because of the bond we form with those we have sex with.
God's perfect will for human beings is that this kind of deep bond be formed with one person for life within marriage.
When we have sex with other people our bonding mechanism becomes confused and it becomes difficult for us to remain faithful to our spouse once we do marry. When you have sex with anyone other than your spouse, the Bible calls that kind of sex sin adultery.
Remember our Love Statement:
True Love means
always acting with the highest good of the
other person in mind.
Father, please help me to be sober in my thinking so that I will be able to assess accurately whether I am truly single.
Father, if I am not truly single, help me not to keep on fooling myself that I can make a lasting commitment to another person.
I look to You to give me the wisdom I need in this very important matter,
in Jesus' name,
Next installment tomorrow, God willing!
See you then, and meanwhile,
Have a great day walking with Jesus,